Gomo learning suite is the part of Learning Technologies group. It offers two products, they are :
i) Gomo Authoring
Gomo Authoring is a cloud-based collaborative authoring tool which lets you create, responsive, adaptive and multi-device e-learning courses. It is one of the cloud-based authoring tools to offer the capability to work on both desktop and mobile devices.
ii) Gomo Hosting
Gomo Hosting is a part of Gomo Learning suite which allows you to host and track the e-learning courses which is created by Gomo Authoring tool. Gomo has come up with an app for mobile devices which allows offline tracking as well.
In this blog, I will share with you the basic steps to get started with Gomo Authoring tool :
Step 1 :
Go to the website, https://www.gomolearning.com/ and select the option “START FOR FREE”
Step 2 :
After clicking on Start for a free option you will land up on a page where it will ask you to fill your account details such as Name, E-Mail, Contact No, Company, Location.
Go through the terms and conditions by selecting “Terms and Conditions” option which is highlighted in Red.
After you have read it select the option of “I agree to the gomo learning terms and conditions” and then complete the captcha and click on “Get Started Today” Option to create an account.
Step 3 :
Once you create an account you will land up on the “Thank You” page as seen above, where it will tell you the user account has been successfully signed up and you need to check your inbox for the confirmation mail.
After clicking on the activation link, you will enter the registration page wherein you will enter your email id and password in order to complete the registration process.
Step 5 :
After completing the registration your account will be created and you will enter Gomo Learning page where you will get two options “Gomo Authoring” and “Gomo Hosting”. Select Gomo Authoring option in order to create your first e-learning course in Gomo learning.
Step 6 :
After Clicking on “Gomo Authoring” option you will be greeted by Gomo learning where it will redirect you to Gomo Learning page where in you can create your first e-learning course.
Here you can see different options such as Getting Started, Knowledge Base, FAQs and all.
• Getting Started Option helps you to understand how to use Gomo learning from the scratch and the type of tools available on the software and how to use them.
• Knowledgebase option will redirect you to the Gomo forums wherein you can express your views and post your queries in order to solve your problems
• FAQ option will address the Frequently Asked Question about Gomo Learning by the users and helps the user to understand the software better.
• Create a New Project option allows you to create your course in Gomo Learning tool.
• Create a sample gomo project option allows you to create a sample project which contains most of the gomo assets and you can use this project as a reference guide on how to setup and use many of the tools.
• Getting Started with gomo (Video) option explains to you how to use gomo software for beginners and screencast video helps the user to get familiar with the options and tools in Gomo learning.
Click on “Create a new Project” to get started.
Step 7 :
A popup box will appear after you Click on Create a new project and here you need to enter the course details such as :
• Project Name – Name of the project.
• Description – Description of what is the project all about.
• Resource Folder – It will store all the documents and files such as Images, Audio, Video used for your e-learning course.
• Project Folder – The location of your project where it will be stored while navigating your projects in gomo authoring tool.
• Language – Here you can choose in which language you want the course to be published.
Step 8 :
• After entering the basic details about your project in the next step you can choose the theme which suits your e-learning project.
• Themes in Gomo are flexible and you can customize it as per your requirement.
• You can request Gomo developer team to provide a custom theme for a specific branding which can be done for an additional charge.
Step 9 :
Once you have selected the theme, even you can customize the content configuration by “Project Content Configuration” which is the next step. Here you can :
• Change the content structure by changing Introduction topic, Menu topic and No of topic
• Switch on and off Supporting Content such as Help, Glossary, and Resources
• Even you can add or remove the additional features such as Accessibility, Language selector, Exit Button, Progress Bar, Table of contents and Search option.
Step 10 :
After creating the Project you will land on Project structure page where it will show the high-level structure of the project, So here in the above example we can see it has a top-level menu item and then it is linked to the below three items
You can toggle the structure view in List and as well as in Tree view by clicking on “List Type” option in the top left corner.
Step 11 :
• Customizing the slide can be done very quickly in Gomo Learning, just click on the slide you want to customize and then you will enter the following screen as shown above.
• In order to input any new content to the new slide first, you have to add Content Block in order to hold the content at one place. Under Layout option, by selecting the Context Block you can drag down the block
• You can customize it in the right window such as No of Columns, Color, Text, Background image etc.
• One of the biggest advantages of Gomo is you don’t need to resize the content blocks and texts as it has to meet the different devices needs just by creating a block it will adjust to multiple formats and ensure there is a consistent view of the module across multiple devices.
Step 12 :
In order to add Media to your course select “Media” option in the left corner there, you can see different media you can input to your e-learning course such as :
• Audio Player: Audio player will help the developer to input audio files and to play them in the module.
• Video Player: Video player will help the developer to input video files and player helps in playing the video content in the module
• iFrame: It acts as a placeholder for online content allowing you to embed content from :
Video Streaming Websites (Youtube, Vimeo)
Google Maps and many more
Note : Gomo supports .mp4 video file and .mp3 audio file formats
Step 13 :
• If you want to present the content in different styles you can use the “Presentation” option which is located on the left side in the tool.
It has several styles like :
• Comicstrip and many more.
• You can choose whichever you require and you can customize the Presentation option in the right corner of the tool. You can Configure the style, change display conditions and include the animation type as well.
Step 14 :
• Without Assessments, it’s quite difficult to know how the module is progressing and how the learners are performing in the module. In Gomo Learning with the help of “Question” Option, you can include various varieties of Assessments for your e-learning course.
• There are different multiple assessment styles such as :
Drag and Drop
Number input and so on.
• There is an option to edit and change the assessment content as well such as Configure Assessment Style
Display Animations and so on.
Step 15 :
Finally, after adding the content and arranging it in a sequential manner, the final thing will be publishing. Before publishing ensure that QC (Quality Check) is done. In order to publish the file go to the home page and you can see the project, right click on the project and you can see Publish Project Option.
Step 16 :
After clicking on Publish Project Option you will get two options i.e. :
i) Publish on Gomo Hosting or
ii) Download as SCORM or xAPI File
Step 17 :
If you want to host the module on gomo hosting you can select Gomo hosting option here and
A dialogue box will appear to confirm the action. Click on “Publish” Option to host the module on Gomo Learning.
Step 18 :
In case if you want to download it as SCORM / xAPI zip file, Select “SCORM / xAPI” option and then you will get another dialogue box wherein you can export the course in following formats such as :
• SCORM 1.2
Select your desired format and click on “Publish” option.
Other hosting options supported by Gomo Learning are :
Gomo Central: You can host the modules on Gomo Central which is a hosting service integrated by xAPI analytics. It is widely used to track learners analytics.
Mobile learning: If you want the module to support mobile learning you can publish the module to Gomo Central app which supports both Android and iOS versions as well.
Direct Link: By sharing the direct link with the learners through EMail, IM’s (Instant Messenger) and Social media platforms (Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter) the learners can access the module if they are not registered on Gomo Central.
Hurray! Your first E-Learning project is published and it is ready to be consumed by the learners. I hope this blog helps you to get started with Gomo Learning. Still having any questions? Feel free to ask us in the comments section below.