Sexual harassments in any forms or types cannot be tolerated in any organisation. But at the same time, it’s important that every employee is aware of What constitutes sexual harassment and what are the various type of sexual harassments in the workplace.
What is Sexual harassment at work/workplace?
As per the PoSH Act, 2013 -“Sexual Harassment” includes any one or more of the following unwelcome acts or behavior
(whether directly or by implication), namely:
•Physical contact or advances;
•A demand or request for sexual favors;
•Making sexually colored remarks;
•Any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature
What are the different types of sexual harassments that can be identified at a work/workplace
• Words can be just as offensive as physical acts and contact. Sexually colored jokes, comments and stories can be sexually harassing.
• Offensive languages that demean or insults a colleague at work/workplace
• Requests for sexual favors from a colleague at work/workplace
• Offensive gestures like staring, leering, with an intention to discomfort the other party.
• Trying to corner the other party at the workplace for sexual advances.
3.Visual sexual harassment
• It can include obscene or sexually explicit images in the forms of posters, email attachments, photographs, screensavers, wallpaper on a computer, texts and other graphic images that offend the colleague
• The display of offensive content, books and magazines, websites, etc or derogatory written material at once workplace.
• Sharing obscene or pornographic content through electronic mediums like social websites, Instant chat apps like WhatsApp etc.
• Physical contact or advances that are aimed to physically harass a colleague at the work/workplace
• Intentional touching of the body to embarrass or put the other party uncomfortable(examples- Hugs, kisses, etc)
Any form of repeated and unwanted requests for sexual favors leading to a harmful work environment for the employee constitutes psychological harassments. It includes all or any form of verbal, non-verbal, visual and physical harassments.
Here are the 5 types of sexual harassment that can be identified at the work/workplace. If you’re looking to train your employees on POSH, I suggest you go through our award-winning scenario-based e-learning module here. The e-learning module delivers an engaging and interactive learning experience through scenario-based learning and game-based assessments. To know more, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +91 80 4114 4661
To experience sample of our POSH employee module please click on the image below